What, when and where?
The festival is conceived as an international summer school, which will take place between 23-31 August 2019 in Brașov, Romania – a former medieval city of Transylvania and one of the country’s most important economic centres.
The working theme for this year will concretize the strategies delivered in the festival’s first edition (Smart planning for cultural heritage), which took place in August 2018 and defined spatial concepts for capitalizing on the existing cultural heritage of 3 areas in the city of Brașov.
Who can participate?
We encourage applications from master degree students, PhD students or young professionals under 35 with a passion for urban planning, architecture, cultural heritage, tourism, green solutions and technology / smart cities.
Interdisciplinarity and exchange of ideas are key values of the Urban Thinking Festival (UTF): we welcome applications from students and young professionals from mixed backgrounds: architecture, urban planning, history, geography, economy, sociology, IT and engineering.
What are the goals and outcomes?
Guided by 5 international experts and 5 facilitators, and working in teams, you will have the chance to develop fresh ideas and design proposals for the development of representative areas in the city, using participatory and innovative methods.
You will also have the challenging task of identifying possible solutions and principles for developing an Urban Design Guideline for public spaces in the historical area of Brașov, with the aim of supporting capitalization processes of the existing built heritage.
The Urban Thinking Festival is an opportunity to expand your knowledge and abilities for:
- Understanding the historical role and cultural importance of architectural heritage in urban development.
- Experimenting the design of participatory urban regeneration processes for historical areas in a city, with a special focus on the design of quality public spaces.
- Integrating contemporary principles (digital cities, temporary use of spaces, nature-based solutions) in built heritage capitalization projects.
What are we offering?
- One-day in-depth study visit in a Romanian city with significant cultural background, facilitated by local and international planning experts;
- Five learning and working days with international experts and local facilitators: interactive expert lectures (in the morning), followed by thematic workshops, professional debates and/or study visits. Among the key topics:
- Principles for designing public spaces;
- Built heritage and urban regeneration. Design of urban regeneration processes;
- Digital solutions for capitalizing on existing built heritage;
- Nature-based solutions in the design of public spaces
- Final presentation of the summer school results with representatives of the municipality of Brașov, followed by a public round-table (30th of August 2019) before farewell.
- Professional roundtables and optional activities in and around the beautiful city of Brașov
Besides access to the above-mentioned activities, the attendance fee for students will also cover the welcome reception (Friday – 23rd of August 2019), a welcome pack, as well as lunch breaks and coffee breaks for the five working days.
Certificates of attendance will be provided to participating students.
How to apply?
Applications will be submitted by filling in the UTF Registration Form. The following documents will be attached to the form:
- CV (Europass format, maximum 3 pages).
- Cover letter (500 words)
Important dates and numbers:
28th of May – Deadline for applications
6th of June – Announcement of selected applicants
1st of July – Deadline for payment of participation fee (150 EUR, reduced fee for members of the organizing partners)
23rd of August – 31st of August – Urban Thinking Festival 2nd Edition, Brașov, Romania.